Custom White Balance Lens Caps
A new concept in lens caps that makes it simple and convenient to take a custom White Balance reading every time you take your camera out of your camera bag - and eliminates the need for post-production white balance correction.
Photographers are familiar with the importance of using lens caps to prevent dust and smears on their lens. Colour management in the camera is another hugely important part of the photographic process and taking custom white balance readings can greatly improve the quality and consistency of images produced.
These NEW White Balance Lens Caps contain an opaque central dome that functions as a spectrally neutral white balance filter. The dome shape of the filter gathers light from all angles, ensuring accuracy of the white balance reading.
The White Balance Lens Cap itself is barely any larger than a standard lens cap, and features a "centre-pinch" release mechanism, meaning that the cap and still be added and removed from the lens with a lens hood in place. Rather than adding more clutter to your kit bag, the White Balance Lens Cap simply replaces your existing lens cap, and removes the need to carry separate white balance or grey cards.
A white balance reading can be taken as soon as you remove your camera from its bag, with the lens cap still in place. Once you've finished shooting, simply replace the White Balance Lens Cap to protect your lens from dust and dirt, meaning your camera is ready for your next white balance reading at your new location.
How to take a white balance reading:
- Turn on your DSLR camera with the White Balance Lens Cap in place.
- Set the focus mode to MF, to prevent the AF system hunting for focus through the opaque filter material.
- Set the camera's White Balance mode to CUSTOM or PRESET.
- Turn the camera towards the light source illuminating your subject and fire the shutter to take a White Balance reading.
- With the new White Balance reading set, remove the White Balance Lens Cap from your lens and start shooting!